- Always be aware of the location of overhead power lines. Be careful not to lift or move any long or tall items such as gutters, ladders or irrigation pipes near power lines – they can conduct electricity through you. Stay at least 20 feet away at all times.
- Be sure to check for power lines in or near trees before pruning branches. If a power line is near, call us at 1-888-221-7070.
- Fly kites out of the way of power lines.
Call before you dig
- Call 811 at least 48 hours before you dig to have underground lines located. Remember to call before you plant a tree, dig holes for fence posts or install underground sprinklers.
Stay away from downed power lines
- Never touch or go near a fallen power line, and do not touch or go near anything on which the wire is resting. Stay away at least 30 feet, but if possible, 100 feet or greater. Always assume a downed line is energized. Call 911 and call us for at 1-888-221-7070 for help.
- If a power line falls across your car while you are inside, stay put until help arrives. If you attempt to leave the vehicle you could be electrocuted. If the car is on fire and you must exit, fold your arms in front of you so you are not touching the vehicle and JUMP with your feet together as far away as possible. Then shuffle with your feet touching until you are at least 30 feet away, but if possible, 100 feet or greater.