Look up for overhead lines
Always look up before beginning any activity, especially when moving equipment and raising long or tall objects. Maintain the 10-foot Circle of Safety rule: keep everyone and everything – you, the tools and materials you are handling and the equipment you are operating – at least 10 feet away from all overhead power lines. Higher voltage lines require more distance.
Please irrigate with care
- Never stand an irrigation pipe on end near a power line.
- Do not spray water on power lines, equipment or structures. A stream of water hitting a power line can create a path for electricity.
- Locate irrigation pumps at least 100 feet away from overhead lines. This distance will provide a safe area if you have to pull your pumping or well equipment for repairs.
- Stack irrigation pipe, hay and hay bales away from power lines.
Use caution when moving equipment near power poles
- Beware of hooking guy wires when moving equipment. Keep vehicles, tools, pipes and people clear of guy wires at all times. If you strike a guy wire or pole, call us immediately at 1-888-221-7070.
- Always lower equipment, tools and pipes before moving them anywhere near power lines. When you do move equipment near power lines, have someone spot for you.
Equipment and power
- If your tractor, truck, combine or other equipment makes contact with a power line, stay on board to remain safe. Be sure to warn others to stay away from the area. If the equipment is operable and can be moved out of contact without doing additional damage to the line or poles, do so.
- As long as the equipment is in contact with a line, do not step off the equipment. If you must get off because of fire or another emergency, JUMP clear of the equipment with both feet together, making sure that you never touch the equipment and the ground at the same time. Once off the equipment, hop away, keeping both feet together. Please call us immediately at 1-888-221-7070 to report the contact.
For other information and for safety assistance around power lines, please call us toll free anytime at 1-888-221-7070.