Top 10 Winter Energy-Saving Tips
Save energy and money this winter with these wattsmart tips:
- When you are home and awake, set your thermostat as low as comfortable. We recommend 68°F or below in the winter. When you are asleep or out of the house, lower the setting by several degrees. Use a programmable thermostat to automatically adjust the temperature in your home.
- Cover drafty windows with a heavy duty, clear plastic sheet on the inside of window frames during winter months.
- Set your water heater to 120°F and use efficient showerheads.
- Wash clothes in cold water, and wash only full loads.
- Use your dishwasher at full capacity, and air dry dishes instead of using the dishwasher’s drying cycle.
- Switch to ENERGY STAR qualified LED bulbs. To select the right bulb for your needs, look for the Lighting Facts label when you shop. It's a quick way to compare brightness (lumens), light appearance (warm to cool) and operating costs.
- Set refrigerator temperature between 37° and 40°F, and your freezer at 0°F.
- Unplug old refrigerators in garages or basements that might be used as storage, but are inefficient and not fully utilized.
- Unplug appliances and electronics when not in use. Plug home electronics, such as TVs, DVD players and computers into power strips and turn off the power strips when the equipment is not in use.
- Improve your home’s heating and cooling systems by cleaning or replacing furnace filters and scheduling routine system maintenance to help air flow through the system more efficiently.