With net metering technology, you can offset all or part of your electricity requirements.
Net metering measures the difference between the electricity you buy from us and the energy you generate using your own solar or wind equipment.
Utah net metering update
On Dec. 9, 2016, the Utah Public Service Commission issued a ruling to delay a decision on when new net metering rates would come into effect. This allows time for a mutually agreeable solution to be reached.
Learn more about the net metering process and requirements below
Please note: Net metering rules, credits and rates are subject to the oversight and changes made by the applicable state public utility commission.
On Dec. 9, 2016, the Utah Public Service Commission issued a ruling to delay a decision on when new net metering rates would come into effect. This allows time for a mutually agreeable solution to be reached. Utah net metering update
- Typical project steps
- Plan out your system. Ensure the design conforms to IEEE 1547, UL 1741 and other national, state and local jurisdiction rules.
- Apply for building permits and apply for interconnection approval with Rocky Mountain Power. The application is available by clicking on your state below.
- Once you have received approval from Rocky Mountain Power and also have approved building permits, build your generation system.
- Have your generation system inspected by the local Authority Having Jurisdiction and forward the completed inspection report to us.
- Once we receive a copy of the approved inspection report, Rocky Mountain Power will schedule a net meter installation within 10 days.
- With the net meter installed, start generating electricity.
If you are considering a net metering project, review these helpful resources and call toll free at 1-800-625-6078.
- How long does it take to complete the interconnection process?
Graphic is representative of typical project timing.
Actual length of time may vary.
- Technical requirements for safety and reliability
Some of the technical requirements for interconnection to the electrical grid are:
- Effective grounding – Your generation system must be effectively grounded. Most utility distribution systems in North America, including most of our utility distribution lines, are multi-grounded systems. This means there is a separation of your grounding system and our grounding system in the event of faults on either utility or customer generation equipment. Effectively grounded generation sources are required on multi-grounded systems in order to prevent dangerous over voltages during short circuit events, which serves to protect both customer and utility equipment.
- Protection against islanding – You will be required to provide an “anti-islanding” scheme. Islanding is a condition in which a portion of Rocky Mountain Power’s system can stay energized and operate by itself even when our sources are de-energized. If warranted, you will be required to pay for protection against islanding.
- Disconnect switch with visible break –Your distributed energy resource facility must include a UL listed AC disconnect switch that provides a visible break, is lockable in the open position, and is located between the production meter and the sub-panel or other connection to the generating facility. Your disconnect switch must be accessible to Rocky Mountain Power personnel at any time of the day. Specific requirements may vary by state and system size.
- Protection system meets the latest IEEE 1547 standard – For non-net-metered generation, it must also meet Policy 138 - Distributed Energy Resource (DER) Interconnection Policy (PDF). If your protection, if the system does not meet the necessary standards, you will be responsible for purchasing and installing additional protection equipment.
A full scope of the interconnection requirements for your installation will be sent to you after your interconnection request is received. Please provide your application to Rocky Mountain Power prior to any installation activity to ensure inclusion of the full scope of requirements in your detailed designs.